This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by libby libby 4 days, 13 hours ago.

Will this be reported (Past child abuse)

  • Carlotta

    I am in therapy in the UK and am over the age of 18. I want to talk to my therapist about my past abuse (it was mostly emotional with the odd occurrence of physical and it was my mum). I still live with my parents but the abuse isn’t going on anymore and I don’t want it reporting. If I tell my therapist will he report it because it happened when I was under 18, or because I still live with my mum? Even if the abuse isn’t currently happening? Thanks.

    Celestia Colders

    I don’t think it will be reported since you aren’t a minor anymore.
    I was worried about that when i started talking about my sexual abuse and my therapist didn’t report it. So i don’t think you have to worry about it being reported.
    I hope this makes you feel a little easier in talking about it in therapy.


    You could ask your therapist to go over confidentiality with you and make this a hypothetical situation and see what he says (try saying something like, “I’m not saying this *did* happen, but *if* it were the case, what would you do? Would it be reported even if I didn’t want it to be?” Or ask him when he is required to report abuse). But I think because you’re over 18, it’s safe to talk about and you don’t have to worry about it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.