This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Sarah Sarah 5 days, 10 hours ago.

Is a flashback dissociation?

• Liz

Hi Kati,
    I have a possible video question. I am confused between flashbacks, body memories, and dissociation. (I looked at your videos on these topics; they’re awesome.) Is a flashback a type of dissociation? What about body memories that occur outside of flashbacks? (I can feel things that were done to me sometimes without completely losing track of the present like I do in a flashback- can’t see or hear anything in the present.) I’m not sure if this question is too specific for a video. If it is, please ignore it.
    Thanks so much for doing these videos. If you do use my question, please have me as Anonymous instead of my name. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    All the best, Liz

Sarah

Hi Liz!
    I think this is a great question! I’m afraid I don’t have an answer for you, but I’ve been wondering the same thing. I often have body memories while still seeing/hearing my surroundings in the present — for me this usually happens at night when I’m lying in bed. I usually feel sort of “out of it” and disoriented when this happens, but not in the sense of a flashback. I think this would be a really interesting/helpful question to discuss in a video!

Liz

Hey Sarah,
    Thank you for reading my question. Sometimes I feel the same way, kind of “halfway” present, when I have the body memories. Sometimes they come out of nowhere and I can only feel the physical part. Do you also get full flashbacks?

• This reply was modified 6 days, 8 hours ago by Liz Liz.
    Sarah

Hey Liz,
    I do experience full flashbacks occasionally, however for me, the body sensations are much more frequent. Lately, the body sensations have been just about night and sometimes throughout the day, whereas I’ve only been having the full flashbacks a couple times a week. During the body sensations, I typically end up locking myself in my closet for however long they last. Sometimes I end up vomiting, which I’m confused about because I don’t remember vomiting when the actual thing happened. Have you experienced any of this? Like when your reaction to the body memories/flashbacks differs from your reaction when it actually happened? My therapist says maybe the body memories/flashbacks are evoking panic attacks which are causing these reactions…is this normal??

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.