This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hope Hope 3 months ago.

#KatiFAQ OCD and Logic

• Profile photo of Hope

I was wondering if this was common for people with OCD or if any of the Kinions have also experienced this? I’m a logical and rational person; most people would describe me as such, myself included. But I struggle with OCD which by its nature is illogical. It seems like one person shouldn’t be both logical and illogical. Is this common? I seem to almost be hyper rational about the OCD thoughts which of course makes it worse. I not sure I’m explaining this well. Can anybody give any insight into this? Thanks!

Profile photo of Samantha

Hi Hope,

I personally do not have OCD but I have BPD. I mention that because I too am a very logical person. And I also struggle with irrational beliefs and react intensely to things I shouldn’t. What I’m getting at is think this is normal. Mental illnesses are not who we are, but it does impact our experience. It’s okay to be a logical person and suffer from an illness that is illogical to use your words. This is what DBT calls dialectics. The ability for two opposite ideas/beliefs/facts to be true at the same time. It can feel discombobulating and frustrating and I get that. This is not your fault and you are not weird or anything negative. <3

Profile photo of Star

Hello Hope it Star here, I have an nephew who has OCD. He was recently diagnosed with it. I only have a theory on this and this just based on what is in my family. But have you consider that it might a family trait? Some of my family may have OCD but wasn’t diagnosed with it. I have a niece who is constantly rearrange things every day and aunt who paces back in forth and talk to herself.

Profile photo of Hope

Thanks for the support Samantha. It’s so frustrating to feel this way, but it’s helpful to hear that I’m not alone.

Profile photo of Lieke

Hi Hope,
    Yes, I personally think it is that way with a lot of mental illness. I struggle with an eating disorder and my family has asked me how I can be so utterly logical, but then fail to when it comes to food and related issues.
    I also feel like I can look very ‘distant/rational’ at my disordered thoughts, and maybe this isn’t a bad thing either. Because when you can easily see the distant between the disorder and yourself, this can make it easier to fight the disorder or at least find comfort in the fact that it isn’t you that is being so illogical. This can of course be different for OCD or other disorders.
    :)Lieke

Profile photo of Hope

Thanks for the insight Like. You make a good point about seeing the distance between the OCD and myself. It helps to distinguish the two.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.