This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kati Morton Kati Morton 2 months ago.

Afraid I'm not strong enough

• Profile photo of Claire

Hi Kati! I have a question that I’ve been struggling with for a while now. I’m currently in medical school and well, it’s the hardest thing I have done in my whole life. Studying is isolating and all but my real problem has to do with trying to be “strong”.
    We have “simulations” which means that there is an emergency and we play the role of docs, trying to figure out what’s wrong and dealing with a mannikin. It can be pretty realistic. I recently got yelled at during one and couldn’t contain my tears from that. It’s also happened in a volunteer clinic with real patients, I almost had a panic attack. I’m afraid that I’m not going to be strong enough when it comes to dealing with other patients in emergencies and things like that. I have had anxiety for about a year now and depression for 5 or 6. I know that I need to take care of myself and all that good stuff but when it comes down to the really hard stuff, I’m afraid that I’m just going to crumble!
    Do you have any advice?
    Thank you so much for doing what you do.

Profile photo of Elphaba

I’m not Kati, but, my question is: are you seeing a therapist? I am guessing it’s not a question of “being strong enough”, but getting a handle on your mental health.

Take care!
    Elphaba

Profile photo of Claire

You’re probably right!! I have seen a counsellor here at school but they aren’t the best. I get to go home in a month so I’m going to try to find one there. The worst thing about this program is that we aren’t in one spot for too long so it’s hard to develop a productive relationship with a therapist.
    Thanks for responding 🙂

Profile photo of Kati Morton

Hey Claire,

Firstly I just want to say that yes you are strong enough!!! Often when we don’t have anyone or any place where we can vent, cry and get help for our anxiety and/or depression other things in life push us over the edge. Taking time to talk with a therapist or counselor and creating these safe places to vent will definitely help!! So reach out and speak up so you have an outlet. Just trust me.. having an outlet and getting professional help will stop these tearful moments and feelings of overwhelm. xoxo

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.